Monday, February 14, 2011

Sometimes we give our hearts to people who don't really deserve it.

But that's part of life, isn't it? Allowing yourself to become vulnerable in order to build a relationship. Kierkegaard said the only way we actually deceive ourselves is if we do not love. I never liked Kierkegaard's Works of Love, and on this Valentine's Day I hate it even more. It seems unfair. You know how much easier my life would be if I just gave up and became a nun?

I was crying on my bedroom floor this afternoon, thinking about all of this. Then, as I was literally giving up, I was reminded about the real meaning of love. You know, the kind that keeps you safe and comfortable, the kind that stands up for you and cheers you on, the kind I think Kierkegaard was really trying to get at.

My friends pulled me up off the floor, shoved ice cream in my face and helped me remember that there are a lot of people who come and go, but the right ones will always stay. That's so painfully cheesy, but I'm the luckiest girl in the world because I'm surrounded by genuine love. Real friendship, a family that I got to choose myself. There is nothing on this earth that could ever replace the genuine concern we have for each other. I'm rambling, but I really needed to remind myself (and everybody else ) that no matter how hard it seems right here, right now, I never have to go it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment