Friday, April 29, 2011

Things I Know For Sure

During Graduation last week, a lot of people talked about what we learned throughout our education and the things we now know. Because I studied philosophy I mostly came out of class knowing that I don’t know anything. But, even though I’ve become accustomed to doubting anything that is “known” (thanks Descartes), there are a few things I know for sure.

I know about the couches in A101, or the Man Cave as some people like to call it. To me, it’s “the boy’s.” I know that their door is unlocked 74% of the time and my favorite blanket is hardly ever in use. I know which plug works best in the living room and that everybody can see through the front window when the blinds are open. I know a lot about best friends becoming family and that fort making is not just for 8 year olds.

I know about the fourth floor of the JFSB. I know the professors by name, first and last, and can point you in the direction of their offices. I know a little about philosophy and a lot about writing papers. I know that Kierkegaard got it right when describing how to be a true Christian and Kant is tough if you don’t know what to look for.

I know about Harry Potter. I know that Harry is a wizard and Dudley is a muggle. I know that Snape had to kill Dumbledore, that it was all part of the plan that was set into motion long before any of us even realized. I know that “lumos” means lights on and “nox” means lights off. I also know exactly what butterbeer tastes like, and what it feels like to be at Hogwarts with the people who’ve made my life magical.

I know a lot about Vegas. I know what it’s like to walk down the Strip in the middle of the night and how weird it feels to drive through during the day. I know which songs at the Bellagio fountains are the best and exactly how to get to each Panda Express. I can tell you what to wear if you plan on going to The Bank or the hot tub. And I can promise you that you won’t regret staying at the Best Western Mardi Gras.

I know what it means to be a believer, to be a Christian. I know a lot about faith and a little about God. I know about scripture and prophets and church and hymns. I can tell you exactly what it means to be Mormon.

I know a lot about college and Netflix and hiking and making the perfect grilled cheese sandwich, but I don’t know a lot about “the real world.” I don’t know what it’s like to have a real full time job that isn’t a student position or a summer temp. I barely know what it’s like to be 21 years old. I don’t know how to buy a car or what it means to have money in your savings account. I still get nervous when I have to call people on the phone and I’m not eloquent or elegant. But I guess that’s part of growing up, part of picking up and moving on – my “I know” list will continue to grow longer, and for that I'm excited.

1 comment:

  1. possibly one of the best blog entries I've ever read. I love you.

    ReplyDelete